Skip to main content

Back on the Blog

Well, my last post was over 8 years ago. Should we start from the beginning?...just kidding. I'm bringing this blog thing back, as I've signed off the social media circuit. Here is where I'll update whomever, wherever what life is looking like. Read it, or not. The posts will probably be less exciting than the ones I wrote 8 years ago when I was living in a foreign country, having adventures in a culture as different as a camel on a pogo stick.

Covid and winter time has been HARD. It's been cold and wet, but not much snow, so really it's just been the hard parts of winter. We have been able to have some fire-side chats with friends. To do that, I need the kind of fire that's so hot, you don't even want a jacket on when it's freezing out. I'll usually start building it an hour or two before anyone comes over to get it that hot. Really, it's become an artform. Aside from these once-in-awhile social "events," we've been home with the dogs, everyday and every night (just like everyone else). Below are the Instagram-like posts I would have made over the winter to keep people updated. 


Mike and I started our very own side-hustle this month. We've been trying to cut down on plastic for a long time, and have been making our own laundry detergent for about a year. Mike (the staunch business man that he is) thought other people may be interested in it, so we created a laundry soap subscription service. We make and deliver soap to people's homes once a month. When we drop off the new soap, they leave the old jars out for us to take and refill for the following month. We've already got 7 customers! If you're interested, we sell them for $12/jar (which is about 30 loads), and deliver within Black Mountain and Swannanoa. If you're outside that zone, we welcome you to come pick it up!


In the time it took Mike to have 2 surgeries, build an addition onto our shed, build the nicest dog house in the tri-state area, and bring electricity to our outbuilding, I grew some spinach and arugula in the garden window we have behind the kitchen sink. Not to brag, but I grew veggies in the winter. Mike just nailed some pieces of wood together.

I've been making myself train for a half marathon, just as something to do. There's no official race - just me, some woods, and 13.1 miles of old, logging roads. It went pretty well. The ice at the top had all melted, but it wasn't soupy yet, and I saw the biggest turkey I've ever seen surrounded by the creepiest fog I've ever been in. Mike brought the dogs to the finish line to help bring me in. They did great!



Finally, what's an update without cute dog photos. Here are some of the things Poppy and Geno have been up to.





Until next time,

Anna and Poppy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you’ve ever wanted to make a celebrity, all you need to do is put a white person on a black continent.   From the second I got off the plane, I have gotten more attention than I ever could have wanted.   The villagers truly treat me like I’m Paris Hilton-- everyone thinks I am super rich (since I’m an American), as well as stupid (probably due to the fact that I have the language proficiency of a 2 year old).   So, I’ve been in Senegal for almost a month now, and things are just as crazy as the day I arrived.   First of all, this is nothing like South Africa.   South Africa, despite its internal problems, was physically beautiful.    Mountains and vineyards were everywhere I turned (except for in the townships).    Here in Senegal, it’s trash and cinderblocks that beckon me everywhere I turn.    I’m sure it is beautiful in its own way, and I can only hope that I will soon begin to be to love Senegal as much as I will always love South Africa. The first week here, I lived in Thi

SENEGAL MEETS RICK

My Dad just came!! I feel like I was preparing for his visit for so long, and then it just happened so fast. He came in to help with an eye clinic Peace Corps was putting on in my regional capital. Dad at Work We had a group of American doctors come over to perform surgeries/consultations and to teach the Senegalese doctors an appropriate method for removing cataracts. We got my Dad involved, and bing, bang, boom…Poppa Brooks comes to town. It was so cool to not only just see him but to also work with him.  Ya’ll should have seen him.   Patients gathered early and they stayed late.   He was like robot-seeing patients from sun-up to sundown. It was a task just to get him to take a lunch break. I was so proud.   His equipment was old, and his patients were anything but normal, but he tirelessly checked eye after eye, and set them up for surgery.   I mainly translated or filled prescriptions for glasses, but I did get to see a couple surgeries, and I even touched a cataract.   So,

I've Been Singing in the Rain..

Due to the wonders of nature, I have come to find out that Saare Boyli IS beautiful.  All it needed was just a bit of water.  Here are some pictures of my personal oasis within the desert compliments of my friend Corka Djekitay (Jillian). My rainy season lake Just our village rainbow... Road out to the fields View from my hut, post-rainstorm. Notice the red onesie...compliments of my friends from Sweden and Norway. We even have grass now!  Lots of grass.